Brothers Research makers of Duragloss, is a 40 year old company located in North Carolina has developed a “Do It Yourself” Ceramic Coating System called NanoGlass. President of the company has a PHD in Organic chemistry so you can be confident that their products are safe to use, engineered and tested to work effectively. This Ceramic Coating will provide a very high gloss “wet look” which will last 3+ years with proper maintenance. NanoGlass has no harmful solvents, and does not smell bad, as many ceramic coatings do. Duragloss products are made in the USA. Most other ceramic products on the market today are not made in the USA and many are not safe to use.
Here are 2 videos describing the application of the NanoGlass Ceramic Coating kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV1Zopo-Lik&feature=youtu.be by Spencer at Colorado Tesla.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-8lhxJEVsQ by Justin at Bearded Tesla Guy.I personally don’t think it is necessary to pay a professional shop $500-$3,000 to apply a ceramic coating, when you can easily do it yourself, for a fraction of the cost, and obtain a deep gloss long lasting shine. You can also save money by buying pre-cut Paint Protection Film and installing it yourself. PPF will prevent rock chips. Go to www.Invisiblemask.com and use coupon code “ForMyTesla” for a 20% discount. PPF must be installed BEFORE you apply a Ceramic Coating.
Use Nanoglass Ceramic Coating to protect your Paint, Glass, Headlights, Tail Lights, PPF, Paint Protection Film, Wheels, Metal Trim,, powder coated surfaces and smooth plastic trim. (For Model Y, it’s ok to use the ceramic coating on the smooth plastic wheel arches, the trim under your rear bumper, and powder coated exterior window trim.)
The key ingredients to NanoGlass Ceramic Coating + the Ceramic Maintenance spray are SiO2 Silicon Dioxide for high gloss and Ti Titanium for extended durability and scratch resistance. These key ingredients are also included in the Ceramic Maintenance Spray.
This ceramic coating protects surfaces from Acid Rain, UV rays, Salt and Pollutants and light swirl marks.
Resistant to Acid and Alkali wash soaps.
Note: If you plan on installing PPF (Paint Protection Film) you must install PPF BEFORE you apply the Ceramic Coating – reason – after ceramic coating is applied, the surface will be too slick for the PPF to adhere. You can apply Ceramic Coating on top of PPF however. Nanoglass Ceramic Coating will not prevent rock chips. For that you need a clear film PPF wrap. NanoGlass may not protect against Highly acidic contaminants such as volcanic ash, Tree Sap and bird droppings that are not removed in a timely manner.
If you want to buy Protective Paint Film (PPF) DIY pre-cut 3M Scotchgard Pro, go to www.Invisiblemask.com and use coupon code “ForMyTesla” for a 20% discount.
Nanoglass is also Great for Marine and Motorcycle use.
If you have scratches and swirl marks they must be removed so they are not visible through the ceramic coating.
Also remove any road oil, bugs and tree sap.
If you don’t have the time or tools required to correct your paint, then you could use a detail shop to do this step.
Just ask them not to apply any wax or polish – just correct the paint and remove scratches, swirl marks, contamination, and road tar etc.
1. Correct your paint by removing scratches and swirl marks and contaminants. Wash with Dawn soap, rinse and dry your car.
2. Remove existing wax or polish using “Squeaky Clean” included in the kit. Apply and remove by hand or buffer.
You can think of “Squeaky Clean” as “Liquid Claybar” in its effect. If you still feel contaminants under your finger tips after using Squeaky clean, (Unlikely) then you may need to use a claybar with lubricant. (Walmart or Car Parts Store)
3. Go over your car with high percentage of Isopropyl alcohol to remove any Squeaky Clean residue. (Note, run your fingertips over the paint. You want a perfectly smooth surface, free of contaminants and previously applied wax or polish before applying ceramic coatings for a superior bond.
4. Apply BASE COAT CERAMIC COATING onto a cool surface. Apply 3-5 drops of base coat ceramic onto the application pad, and randomly wipe onto a 2×2 foot sections at a time, until you see a rainbow looking flash, or ceramic is dry. That should take about 10 seconds. (Do one section at one time, for example a hood or fender etc.) DO NOT USE A BUFFER to apply or polish the ceramic coating. The residue from the ceramic will evaporate. Inspect the completed section within 5 minutes after application and smooth out any streaks by gently wiping with a microfiber cloth. If you wait over 5 minutes it will become difficult to smooth out any streaks that you may have from overlapping of product.
(Do not apply base coat ceramic to a hot surface or in direct sunlight)
5. Wait 24 Hours to give the base coat time to cure. (you may cure in direct sunlight)
Less than 50 degrees F, allow 48 hours to cure.
6. After the Base coat has cured, apply the CERAMIC COATING TOP COAT in the same way that you applied the Base coat by applying a light even coat, 4 drops onto the application pad in 2×2 foot sections at a time, random motion by hand until you see a rainbow flash or ceramic is dry. DO NOT USE A BUFFER to apply or remove the ceramic coating. The residue from the ceramic will evaporate. Inspect within 5 minutes after application to one section at a time, and smooth out any streaks by gently wiping with a microfiber cloth. If you wait over 5 minutes it will become difficult to smooth out any streaks that you may have.
You should have enough ceramic to do 2 cars.
(Do not apply top coat ceramic in direct sunlight)
7. Wait 24 hours to give the Top coat time to cure. (you can cure in direct sunlight)
8. Use the Spray-on Ceramic Maintenance Sealant 3 or 4 times per year to enhance gloss and durability. Wipe on until dry, and hand buff, one section at a time, This spray can also be used in-between car washes to remove very light dust on paint and glass. Hand buff after application. The Spray-on Ceramic works very well on glass. Use one cloth to apply and a second to polish glass.
9. When your car is very dirty wash it with a mild PH neutral soap like Duragloss #901.
If you use a commercial car wash, make sure it is a Touchless car wash, no brushes.
10. BTW you can use NanoGlass Ceramic Coating on: wheels, headlights, taillights, chrome, smooth plastic, powder coated parts and windows.
What’s included in the DIY Ceramic Coating Kit:
(1) Squeaky Clean Surface Preparation Cleaner
(1) Base Coat Ceramic Coating
(1) Top Coat Ceramic Coating
(1) Ceramic Maintenance Sealant Spray, 22oz
(2) Application pads
(1) Microfiber Polishing Cloth
Free Shipping to lower 48 destinations.
(This kit is a $176 value when shipping cost is factored in)
ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS YOU MAY WANT TO ADD TO YOUR PURCHASE:
(Add in the “Notes” Section of the order form.)
#901 PH Neutral Shampoo, 16oz: $8.50 (Highly Recommended)
Clay Bar: Buy at Walmart of Auto Parts Store
#921 as Quick Detailer and lubricant for Clay Bar use: $10.50
#671 Swirl Mark Remover, use with a buffer: $8.50
#561 + #652 Surface Prep on highly oxidized paint, or if you have scratches, remove with low cut pad and buffer.
#441 Leather/Vinyl Shampoo Mink Oil + Lanolin, 8oz. $9.00
#221 Leather/Vinyl Conditioner-Protectant with Mink Oil + Lanolin, 8oz. $11.50
#265 High Gloss Aerosol Tire Dressing that doesn’t spin off: $11.50
#271 Trim dressing to protect & restore textured rubber textured surfaces: $10.50
(#271 is especially effective to protect MAXpider all-weather Floor Liners, making them easer to clean.)
#1001 Ceramic Spray Maintenance Sealant, 22 oz $35.00
BRC-46 Glass Cleaner (19oz. Aerosol) (Does not contain Ammonia) $10.95 (Highly Recommended)
# 9002 (1) Plush Microfiber Drying Towel (17×26) $25.00 each (Very Highly Recommended)
# 9003 (2) Plush Microfiber Polishing Cloths (11×17) $26.00 for two (Highly Recommended)
For individual purchases shipping cost is charged.
Questions or comments contact: Jerry at 224 676 1484 or Email: info@ForMyTesla.com
Go to You Tube to see videos on how to use claybar and remove swirl marks:
Swirl Removal If you have light swirl marks use Duragloss 671 Swirl Mark Remover with a buffer. However If you have moderate to severe swirl marks, scratches and water spots, take your car to a professional detailing shop to correct your paint or watch these DIY Swirl Mark removal Videos on YouTube:
Note: when using Claybar or Squeaky Clean on Clear film Bra Paint Protective Film, residue can accumulate at the line where the film ends and the unprotected paint begins. You can use a soft brush and water to remove Squeaky Clean from the PPF line on your hood. (or just have PPF to cover the entire hood in the first place for no line to deal with) Remove road oil from rocker panels and lower body parts with Charcoal Lighter fluid, but do not use Lighter Fluid on Paint Protective Film. Remember PPF must be applied before using a ceramic coating, or the PPF will not stick to the paint.
(Tips: Wash your car from the top down. To remove excess rinse water after washing your car, remove nozzle from your hose and rinse car starting at the top, with natural low flow of water, ie no extra pressure. Gravity pulls the excess water off the car. or take your car for a quick spin, then finish with a #9002 Duragloss Plush Drying Towel. I also suggest carrying #1001 Nano Detailer and a plush polishing cloth in your car to clean away those unexpected bird droppings etc.)